[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Secure httpd servers

Brian,

There are a number of technologies currently vying for acceptance.  One of
which, as you mention, is SSL offered up by Netscape.  Others are S-HTTP,
by Microsoft/IBM alliance, I think.  Also, there is an internet draft out
for GSS (Generic Security Services).  This is just off the top of my head.
Dig around and you'll find the info on these and others.  A good place to
start might be

http://www.c2.org/apachessl

They have very recently released the first freeware secure httpd server
called Apache-SSL (as well as a commercial version for only $495) which
is an SSL implementation utilizing the SSLeay libraries written by Eric
A. Young in Australia.  Until this, the least expensive secure server
available was $2000!  Anyway, check the site out.  They have gobs of info
on all the secure servers available.

Regards,

Kyle Amon

  Kyle Amon                              webwonders@labyrinth.cftnet.com
  Vice President                      http://labyrinth.cftnet.com/webwonders
  WebWonders, Inc.

   "Internet Consulting Service specializing in World Wide Web Development"